Traditional Body, Pioneering Mind, Timeless Spirit
Concerts, plays, films, corporate events & private parties are all at home in the Civic Theatre. With nearly limitless configurations, we can help you plan and execute the best layout for your event. We can illuminate the walls with a brand’s logo, design a custom A/V experience for different zones of the venue, or change the floor plan to fit any event.
Built in 1906, the Civic Theatre is the oldest in New Orleans. The building is a beautiful historic structure, and care has been taken at every step to preserve these details. Original touches, such as the beaux arts plaster work that graces the stage and balconies, connect contemporary theatregoers with past generations who first enjoyed the theatre.
The Civic has teamed up with renowned mixologist, Neal Bodenheimer, of Cure and Bellocq, to create the Civic Signature Cocktail menu. Our drinks are created from American made, small batch spirits, using organic ingredients and craft cocktail techniques. Our aim is to buck the norm by providing theatre goers with a pleasant surprise: drinks created with wit and care.
Opening its doors after a fresh reboot, the Civic is pleased to be working with a management team with a decade’s worth of experience working side by side in event management and musical entertainment. Their collective wisdom and proven team dynamic will be invaluable for ensuring the smooth operation of this ambitious new venue.
Gail Varuso—General Manager
Gail brings her wealth of live event experience to her role as General Manager of the Civic. She began her hospitality career in 1982 when she helped to launch the Louisiana World Exposition, and subsequently spent 11 years with Sheraton Hotels as an integral part of their sales and convention services team. In 2000, Gail joined the House of Blues New Orleans as Director of Sales. She was a key member of the executive team that oversaw the operation of a live music, restaurant and special events venue in the busy French Quarter, booking events from 50 to 3,000 guests. Gail has worked with high-level corporate groups, social events and fundraisers for clients including President Barack Obama.
Winter Adler—Operations Manager
Winter moved to New Orleans in the summer of 1999 to take a job at the historic music venue Tipitina’s. It was there that he learned the ins and outs of the local music scene and fell in love with the city’s rich culture. After working as Operations Manager for 4 years, he accepted a position with the House of Blues in 2003 and moved up the ranks to Director of Music Hall Operations. In this capacity, Winter oversaw the service and security staff, worked with national and local touring acts, and worked closely with the special events team alongside Gail Varuso.
- The Civic Theatre offers a modular flooring system that can be raised and lowered to create customized event configurations.
- Maximum Show Capacity Up to 1100
- Traditional Theatre Seating Capacity Up to 700
- Ground Floor Reception Up to 650
- Ground Floor Banquet Up to 200
- L'Acoustics Kiva Concert PA System
- (22) Kiva Compact Line Array Speakers
- (6) Kilo Low Frequency Extenders
- (4) SB18 Subwoofers
- (4) 8XTi Front Fills
- (1) Midas Pro1 Console with 48x16 Stage Box
- (2) Shure UHF-R Wireless Systems
- Clear-Com Communications System
- Fiber, Cat6 and RG-6 Cable Infrastructure Throughout Venue
- (96) Channel ETC Sensor Dimmer
- (40) Source 4 Lekos
- (40) Chauvet Colorado 2 Zoom LED Wash Fixture
- Socapex Patch Panel
- ETC Paradigm Control System
- RGB Accent Lighting
- (1) 400AMP 3-phase Company Switch
- (1) 200AMP 3-phase Company Switch
- (1) 100AMP 3-phase Fused Disconnect
Motorized Fly System
- (21) Linesets on Stage and one at Front of House
- (5) Single Speed Linesets 2000lb (20 feet per minute)
- (16) Variable High Speed Linesets 1500lbs (90 feet per minute)
- Computer Control System
- Medialon IT based audiovisual control solution